Monday, July 16, 2007

Grrr...


This is my lovely better half. He keeps me sane and grounded. He's a part of Fiji for me and I'm a part of America for him. We live in a collection of cultures, times, places, and people that walk this earth in all forms and colors. Our family is rich!
Today's adventure is looking on to tomorrow. You know the passage in the Bible that talks about not worring about tomorrow cause it has enough worries of its own (well, after you get past the logic of that statement...)
Tomorrow's adventure actually begins last week. I was doing my hair (for all those who were like Jo, shocked beyond belief, yes, that does include both a hair dryer and a curling iron along with three bottles of product...no joke!) and it dawned on me...I had had it with a lady that runs a ministry we partner with. I had actually had it with her for a while. And altho that sounds very harsh, I had consoled others with my issues and they could see plainly where I was coming from. So I sent her an email tellling her about the struggles I was facing with her and that it was putting a strain on the relationship. I had chosen email because I had been to the point of bringing it up with her in person when she would go off on something and not let me get a word in edgewise.
On the phone with her a couple of days later she let me hear it about she didn't want to discuss it on the phone or on email and how disappointed she was in me for choosing email (even after I had told her why I chose email and agreeing with her email wasn't the choice for me either). She went on...discussing the issue for 20 minutes before she let me get a word in. And all that was left in me after the tears I had shed during that 20 minutes was, "Okay..." I barely got to finish my sentence.
So that 'Okay' was in a statement of agreement that tomorrow we meet, in the presence of two others discussing the issue that she already told me about.
What's the point? I ask myself that question often because I've known people like her, serveral. They're people that have things all figured out in their head before hand. I know, I used be one. I still am in many respects (mostly cause I don't like change and I don't like things to go not my way but I am changing...despite the fact I don't like change...ironically, I'm finding I like this change).
I also know a couple of other things: 1) we were not meant to agree with everyone. Yes, we're called to love everyone and live in harmony with everyone but we're not always going to agree. The fact that God made us all different means that we're not going to agree with everyone. Its okay! 2) Sometimes relationships end. God has people in our lives for three different lengths of time: for a reason, a season or a lifetime. That means that when the reason is accomplished or the season over, the friend is meant to go away and the relationship needs to end. As for the lifetime, this is reserved for a few special people: spouses, children, parents...the like.
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

No comments: