Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Striking

So sometimes I like to let myself think that the girls in detention are little mini-me's because I'm in the position to 'mold them for the greater good of themselves and the greater society'. I know, pious and arrogant but some days I need something to make me smile for five seconds (I'm ADD so it really only takes five seconds).

But yesterday it wasn't me at all because I was never like this nor could ever imagine anything like this coming from me so this was simply Jesus.

I was crocheting with my girls from Echo and Fox and right now that's about 15 girls (7 were crocheting). One of the girls was just upset, angry, depressed because her ex-boyfriend who recently got locked up was telling everyone she was a ho (slang for whore, for girls they're hos, a negative term, for guys its playa (player) a positive term). Well, she said she was 'plotting to kill him' but wasn't going to act on it because she knew that would be murder. So I talked to her about how Jesus said hate was a form of murder and we had a little discussion and her tone and attitude changed a bit.

And this is the part that isn't from me because I wasn't like this for a long time...now I am though: She went on to say that she also prayed for him. She prayed for prosperity, health, strength, and long life, and she prayed for his dreams to come true and she prayed all these great things for him...things she - we - would pray for ourselves. And after all this I said to her, "You know that's a real Biblical thing to do...to pray for our enemies and in praying for them, in the end, they may not be our enemies." She understood that point and her anger, by this point, had passed and she was able to let it roll...hopefully that will last.

It is striking because she did this all on her own. I'm not sure if she's a faithful Bible reader but I know that in the past couple of months gave her life to the Lord. What is striking is that I didn't tell her or encourage her to pray for her ex-boyfriend, I didn't do anything, I was just listening to her talking and that is what came out of her mouth. What came out was striking, honest, pure, and holy. It was noble, right, lovely, and admirable. It was definitely excellent and praise-worthy.

"But I [Jesus] tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your father in heaven" Matthew 5:44-45.

"[Jesus speaking:] Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you" Luke 6:28.

"On the contrary: If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" Romans 12:20-21.

1 comment:

the girl next door said...

Kel,
I love reading your posts lately. Very inspirational. I'll email you later...I have some things that need discussing!

Denae