Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Don't forget me

It was Thursday, a couple weeks ago, and I'm talking to our EA who is also a volunteer with the Girls JJM program. We were all excited and talking and I was sorting thru the contact cards from the night before and I ran across five that were all from the same girl.

"...And there are five from this girl why?" I asked.

EA smiled that wonderful smile she has and she said, "Oh yeah, she didn't want me to forget her."

Can you imagine that? There are over 1,300 kids that will walk in and out of the doors of our local detention center this calendar year and that's a lot for the nine of us that go in there every Wednesday (over 144 per person). Its easy to forget one or two ...heck over half of them... but its so important not to.

I think about what that girl said. Not every girl...kid...says "Don't forget me" but as soon as I heard EA say that the first time, immediately what came to mind was, "What happened to this girl that she would say that? Who forgot...or forgets...her to the point or in such a way that she would make a point to tell us something like that?" Most of the kids, when we hand them a contact card, say "What is his for???" (to which I say, "I want to write you a letter, fill this out so I'l remember to").

But to the little angel that said, 'Don't forget me' I say, I have your contact card in my office, EA has it in her office, in her home, in our heart. More importantly, in God's heart.

No comments: