Thursday, February 28, 2008

Yeah, Jesus IS the Messiah

So I did the inevitable yesterday...mistook one girl for another.

Remember D from a few blogs ago? Well, during that conversation, there as another girl who was making very rude comments and I was trying hard to focus on my conversation with D cause I knew it was more important than the interruptions I clearly saw were from the Devil. We'll call this apparently rude girl Joy cause she has certainly been a JOY for me.

So last night I went in and thought she was D. Now, there were, last week, about three or four girls that are very similar in physical features and personality characteristics so when they're all sitting together I can make them out but when only part of them are there, it takes me a while to realize who isn't there. Okay, D was missing...I found that out a little late. I started talking to who I thought was D and asking her questions about last week's conversation. D wasn't D, she was Joy. When I first realized this I thought that I may have turned her off to talking about Jesus but surprisingly I didn't.

Since she obviously knew nothing about what D and I were talking about the week before because she would just 'hear' (not understanding) and then blurt out a comment I asked her about Sunday's Service (Don did the Sunday service and it was almost the exact same thing as my conversation with D...see how God lines these things up?). She said she liked it...the box demonstration and the story about the seeds at least. She claimed she was the good soil and I was pleased to hear about that and so I went on to probe about what that meant to her.

She said she didn't believe in the Bible stuff cause she thought it was something someone just sat down and wrote and that was that. She did however believe that Jesus was indeed the Messiah. I proceeded to say to her, "So you believe that Jesus died for your sins and that's why you're going to heaven?"

"No, I believe I'm going to heaven because Jesus is the Messiah." Joy said.

"Do you know what Messiah means? Do you know where you're going to go when you die?"

"No, but I'm going to heaven because Jesus is the Messiah."

I showed her 2 Timothy 3:16 and said "the guy who 'sat down and wrote this' tells us how he came up with it...that it was God-breathed which means God inspired him to write it. Do you believe the Bible could be true now?"

"Yes."

I explained to her about the virgin birth, why that was important, how when Christ died, God died and when Christ rose, humans rose too and we have life, and about how we can only get to heaven because of Jesus. She took it all in and the stories about God she knew about seemed to make sense to her now. So I finished by asking her the same question... "Do you believe in Jesus?"

"Yes, because Jesus is the Messiah and I'm going to heaven."

I was a bit more confident in that answer.

Moral of the story: when you mistake one person for another, just go with it.

No comments: