Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Good Conversations and Teachable Moments

F.Y.I. No, this is not the 'Big Announcement'.

I was with one of my girl yesterday and we're reading CS Lewis' Mere Christianity and on the way home she asked me, "You can't tell me that you wouldn't turn in a woman stealing bread to feed her two kids like you would a man stealing a bread out of greed."

"Well, both of them are stealing and doing wrong so yes."

"But a woman who is stealing to feed her kids?"

"Yes, but she was stealing."

"But really, you would turn in a woman stealing a loaf of bread to feed her kids!?"

"Stealing is stealing, its wrong. Would I feel different about doing? Yes. Would I hesitate to do it? Yes. But what they did is wrong, no matter what the motive is." Mind you, I knew we were getting to a point. "You see, God is a just God. He is a merciful God. He is a compassionate God and like you said earlier, we are made in his likeness so because God is just, we would turn them both in. Because God is merciful, we would let the woman off the hook. Because God is compassionate, we can understand where the woman is coming from. There are other ways of getting bread, people are generous: Ask for a discount, see if there is day-old bread they can't sell, stuff like that. Stealing is stealing, its wrong."

And now our relationship progress from coffee to doctrine and theology :).

No comments: