Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A day in the life of...

Rape, abandonment, rejection, heroine, coke, cocaine, marijuana, alcohol, and various visits to detention. A story of many girls? No, this is all part of one girl’s story… and she’s only 15.

She said, in the middle of our conversation, “My therapist keeps telling me to let it go, get over it and I asked her if she had felt pain and hurt like this and she said no. How can she tell me to let it go, put it past me, and get over it?”

Inside, I wanted to go away and hide because I am no different than her therapist. I have nothing that qualifies me to tell her anything, nothing from my growing up that I would help me understand her any better. So you could imagine what I felt like when she asked me, “What was your life like when you were my age?”

She said I had the good life and that she wanted the good life. She questioned why God would give her pain and suffering if he was such a good God and hated sin.

We cried. We cried the same tears God cries over the sin in this world and as I put my arm around her, I said, “God’s family is like my family, where God and his people are united like a husband and a wife for many years, where siblings get along, where everything is provided. You have to trust that God is good and that he hates sin and it hurts him like it hurts you.”

Those were more words than I had and it took more strength than I could possibly possess to say. them.

No comments: