Thursday, February 21, 2008

So Many Questions, So Few Answers

Now, what I'm about to say may be a little concerning for those of you who know someone incarcerated by your local justice system but for me, I find a lot of confusion in a somewhat good-ish (cause some of you may be more than slightly concerned at this) situation.

So last night I went to Detention and blessings showered down. That's not the confusing part. This is the confusing part: when I returned home, Don said that one of my girls called me. I was confused because of two things. One, I do not give out my home phone number to my girls as a way of both screening my calls and setting boundaries with them. Instead I give them my cell phone where I am free to both turn it off and/or not answer it. Two, this girl is locked up in our local county jail...how did she get my number? She isn't those murderous types - by far - she's mentally with it so it isn't like that.

I've known her for about two years (one of the first girls I met in Detention) and its a good situation becasue she used to blow both me and God off for a vast majority of the time that we've known each other. When a girl blows me off like that I let her go because I'm not a pusher, I don't want to force anything...if they don't like me, thats fine. I'm secure enough in myself to handle that (and believe me, that wasn't always the case but living on this side of the case is not only a joyous place to be personally but it is incredibly NECESSARY for what I do). Now she calls me. That takes a big of change of heart...a God change of heart.

I didn't ask her how she got my number because in the little recording they have when you answer the phone, there are a few warnings that they state: mostly, 'this call is recorded'. You hear the 'this phone call is recorded...' when you call almost any customer service number but it sounds A LOT different when it follows 'this is a call from the Kent County Correctional Facility...' hummm... [the thought that flitters thru my mind is: 'how many of my friends from college get to hear that on a phone call' and 'is that something I really want to be proud of?']

No one said, certainly not Jesus, that doing his work was going to be clean-cut and pretty.

Overall I'm glad she called me even tho it is quite errie that she now has my home phone number, I'm glad because of all the people this girl knows, she called me. She knew I'd answer. She knew I'd care. She still blows off Jesus, but she doesn't blow me off anymore and hopefully, one day, she'll stop blowing off Jesus too.

In fear of making this too long, I'm going to break here and write again about my blessing in Detention.

No comments: