Tuesday, March 25, 2008

14 Letters from 8 Girls

Posted to my cubical wall, I have what our Executive Assistant (EA) called my Garden this morning. It consists of 14 letters written by 8 different girls. What she doesn't see, are all the letters girls sent to me prior to Jan. 1, 2008.

Last year, a girl sent me a letter and, if you get my snail-mail newsletters from YFC, then you read about this girl in the last one...it was the story entitled 'Letters from Juvie'. If you didn't get it, don't have it, or anything else, this is what her letter said:

"Mrs. Kelly,
I think I am ready to accept God into my life but it's only when I'm locked up that I think that. I know God hears, sees, and knows my every move. I just don't understand why hey's not helping me in my time of need. When I try to read the Bible I can't because I don't know where to begin. Plus it's kind of hard reading a Bible with ripped pages (the ones from the quiet room). Please help me out here.
Yours truly,
..."

I connected well with her in Juvie and kept in touch with her after she left and went to placement. I visited her last fall and gave her a Bible. And a while ago, I wrote her one random letter. I had lost touch because I got no response back from her since that letter and wasn't sure if she was still there or not.

Well, today I got another letter from her. Here is what it said:

"Kelly Ram,
Thank you for writing me and checking up on me. I sometimes get lonely and I be needing other people to talk to. I see these girls every day. I need another buddy. Well I'm really not up to nothing. SSDD (same stuff, different day). Oh! Well I got baptized, but at first things weren't going so good for me. I wasn't acting like a Christian girl, a child of God. I'm doing better with that though. I understand what God wants me to do. I sometimes have problems but I just say this verse and everything gets better. Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. My favorite.
..."

Oh that just makes me excited. Come and visit my Garden sometime!!

No comments: