Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Oh the Bliss of Change



So if you've been following my blogs, you've learned that I don't like change. Well, today I'm more than embracing it.

Last week sometime, our new ED, the wonderful man of change that he is, allowed my co-worker and I to redecorate the office. There were several 'secondary reasons' that he allowed us to do this...the one I remember clearly is that the sofa in the entry way of our building were ours and he believed they should be in our office and not so much for public use. So my co-worker and I started imagining all the grand possibilities.

I'm not that creative but my co-worker came up with a brilliant idea: walk through and condensed print-postage area in the middle of our office, separating the noise congestion so its not so distracting to everyone, opening up a reception area, adding room for addtional future staffers, getting us out of the office for lunch, adding a conference room, all of this, I believe will add productivity and reduce distractions and all that.

The best part, in my eyes, is what happened yesterday. After we presented this idea and drew up a little 'map' of our office, we presented it to all the other staffers that work in our office. One of them, who seems critical but is really just looking at it from every angle, asked why it was so necessary that we spend time doing it. Our wonderful ED said to him (in something like these words), "It just gives them the opportunity to 'destress' after all thats been going on in the office, its something fun for them to do, its a new start and I think it will be good." So really, it had nothing to do with productivity, adding addtional space and room for growth, altho some of the things were things he wanted to add (like the conference room, the added room for sofas, and getting rid of the break room and fridge), it was more about the fact that it was something my co-worker and I could do to just 'have fun, destress, and gain a new start' and possibly take a little ownership of this place.

Wow, who knew I'd be so impressed with all of this!

On a side note, those of you reading this know I'm pretty much terrified of lightning (but not thunder) and I just heard it thunder, in this building and over my radio...I'm so excited about that...as long as I'm not looking for the lightning. It has been so dry and now we're getting dumped on with rain...what a wonderful day! ...It almost makes up for the fact that it was still dark at 6:00am...

No comments: