Tuesday, September 4, 2007

When assembling Furnature, you must have the RIGHT tools.

I am finding out that there IS a difference between the right tools and the RIGHT tools.

The other day my mom and sister and I went to our local Ikea Store (2.5 hours away). I bought a cute little kitchen cart think as well as a coffe table. When assembling them yesterday, I decided to warm-up on the less complicated coffee table instead of the much more complex Kitchen cart. I decided I would tackle these projects because my hubby (God bless his soul) doesn't like to assemble furnature and since we've been married, he's assembled one computer desk and two bookshelves. I on the other hand, haven't assembled anything.

I have two screw drivers that fit these particluar screws...pretty much the same screws for both of these projects. They both fit and screwed in the screws fairly well so I was very content and happy that these were the right screw drivers. The only little (or so I thought) problem I had is the screw drivers slipped a little when trying to twist the screw into the wood (okay, the kitchen cart is REAL wood and the coffee table is that sort of real wood ply-board or a very good similar and stronger variation). Thats okay right? I have the right tool and it still screws in, it just takes a lot more effort. I know no different because I have assembled exactly zero things...well, when I was running into this as a growing problem, I had the coffee table done (with hubby's help) and had a good start on the cart...so I had one 'some assembly required' piece under my belt.

The screw driver thing turned into a real big problem. The metal the 'right' screw driver was made out of was not strong enough for all the stress and I ended up stripping both the head of the screw adn the screw driver. Now this 'right' tool is no longer usable.

I guess there is a difference between the right tool and the RIGHT tool. Now I'm off to the hardware store to find the RIGHT tool. And because I just figured there is a right tool and a RIGHT tool, you know this hardware store experience is going to be a little more difficult than the usual handiman.

...At least I have a cousin who is a die-hard about tools and taught me which brands are the strongest...he's the one that would have laughed and teased me about this and commented on how no tool should have painted flowers on the handle. I guess that should have been my first clue that these tools weren't strong enough.

Oh well, I'm off to the hardware store...

No comments: