Thursday, September 13, 2007

Body Shop from Heck

So I told you about my recent car issues. I got a second opinion which is really rare that I do because I don't know anything about anything but I didn't really know the people who told me about that coolant and oil pan leak and there were a few things I was concerned about in connection with that: how does an oil pan cost $300-$400?

I got my second opinion from the guy who actually sold us the car. He's great. He told me it wasn't the oil pan but intead it was the Hydrolic Motor Head or something like that...the thing that helps you change gears or whatever. Anyway, he was completely confused as to why this particular part was falling apart. He said they rarely change them and if they do its usually on a car with exorborant amount of miles on a really old car. I drive a 2002 Ford Taurus with almost 109,000 so according to him, my car isn't near old enough and it doesn't have enough miles for this part to go out. He was pretty sure it was directly related to the accident.

That is yet another thing that the Body Shop I took my car to didn't catch. This is the story: I told the tow guy to take it to this body shop because back in High School I hit a deer and they were fabulous. That day I couldn't get ahold of either my mom or my dad so I figured I'd just take it there. I knew people that worked there so I thought it would be okay, I felt I could trust them. That was my only mistake. The insurance company deemed the car totaled. The Body Shop from Heck needed work and the secretary/receptionist talked them into fixing it. I've had to take it back to them...well, this is the forth time. I am bound and determined NOT to pay this bill. If Insurance doesn't pay for it (which I'm actually hoping for) then THEY will pay for it. They wanted to fix it...they can fix it (I just wish they wouldn't have to).

I've been thinking of presenting them with two options: fixing my car or giving me $6000 so I can use it as a trade in and tack on the $6000 to by the Ford Taurus I saw with only 47,000 miles on it. I hope that will happen because then I know I won't ever see the Body Shop from Heck again.

I have to have a dependable car. It's not just a to and from work car. I'm in ministry and I have kids in my car. It has to be safe. These kids come from families that think suing is their God-given right AND responsibility. It doesn't matter to them if it was truly an accident or something done out of neglegence (in which case this would actually the latter). And the thing is, this Body Shop isn't the one getting sued from these parents. I am. YFC is. There is no way around it. If something happens while they're in the car, its MY problem, not theirs.

Honestly, if my car needs a repair, it needs a repair and generally I don't hate them. I just hate it when someone convinces someone else to fix a person's car and then doesn't fix it. Thats just wrong. What desterbs me also, is the guy I know that works there, I've known all my life and he's not the one that works on cars but it still refects badly on him in my mind as much as I tell myself he had nothing to do with it.

No comments: