Monday, May 25, 2009

What a Grand Adventure!

I went to a wedding this weeknd. My roommate from college got married yesterday. We arrived there Friday abot 4:30p and from the 48 hours after that were the most jam-packed 48 hours I have ever gone thru! ...Even more so than MY wedding (being the bride)!

Within minutes on arrival, the bride (Jo) had the dress that she hated on and we were already planning on what we were going to do to the dress. We had less than a short hour to get an attack plan before we left for the rehearsal. She tried on her back up dress...better but not the dress she wanted. She put the first dress back on and said, "We can't do any damage to it!" We agreed on a plan and a time to start on it the next day, packed up our stuff and headed out to the rehearsal.

So Saturday morning we were at Jo's having breakfast at 8:30a and we were working on the dress by 9a. We broke for lunch at 2:00-2:30p and were done about an hour late which ended up being 4:30p. During those hours all I did was sew...by hand! We did everything that we could possibly do: gave her a waist, adjusted her straps, added decorative details, removed and replaced darts, fixed seems, let out, took in, and that didn't include what we had yet to do Sunday after we got some supplies from - of all stores - Walmart!

We left Saturday getting everything we could possibly get done that day because we had negative time on Sunday. Sunday though, I had to cut some threads and do a bussel. This is the funny story: I put the bussel in (two hook and eyes, one on each side of the zipper - which was one place we had to replace/reinforce a seem) and I announced the last little snip of my thread to mark the end of the altering and everyone got out their cameras (remember, this is after seven and a half hours of altering) and took pictures. Jo fit the dress one last time and we couldn't get it on. I took it off, looked at the back of it and alas, I gasped. Jo freaked, "what's wrong?!?" I burst out in loud laughter: "I sewed it shut!"

A couple of snips and a re-do and it was good as gold...or at least as good as it was ever going to get. I asked Jo Sunday morning (the day of he wedding) on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, where was this dress and where is it now? I wanted to know how much she had liked it and if she was satisfied with the work. So much negative emotion went into this dress already and there was tons of stress between packing to move, packing for a honeymoon, and getting details settled for the wedding, she didn't focus much on the work...she just went with the fitting and let the three of us (Rita, Melanie, and I) make the decisions about the dress.

"Negative 8 to a 5." She didn't even let me finish the question.

The wedding came and went and the "design team" got together and all agreed, "This was a great adventure that we never want to do again!" I caught up with Jo's mom at one point and I said, "I never want to go to Jo's wedding again!"

...973.7 miles later, I'm home and I can finallly rest! ...My poor wrist though, it still hurts...

1 comment:

Melanie said...

It definitely was a grand adventure! When I came home I felt that I just had an out of body experience! I can't believe the stuff we got done and how smoothly the wedding went despite the hiccups before the wedding. I was great to see you and finally meet Don!