Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Preacher" Lady

So once and a while I go into Detention and do the Sunday Service, either Don or I will give a message there for the kids. The last two times I did it were early July and two weeks ago. Last night in Detention, I was sitting with one other volunteer and two girls (B and K for clarification). This is how the night/conversation unfolds:

K comes back from a visitation and she's really upset because there is speculation that she's going to end up going to her uncle in Detroit and she's NOT wanting that because of the bad stories she's heard about the people in Detroit and she doesn't know anyone there stuff like that. B looks at her (B and K are best friends) and she says, "You can trust Miss Kelly. I've told her all my secrets and she hasn't told anyone so you can tell her anything..."

A little while later she looks at me and says something like, "Miss Kelly, I remember what you said at church..." And she goes on to recite almost everything I said in this sermon I gave in early July...like I couldn't even remember what topic I talked about! She gets up and in this sarcastic and sassy way she starts reciting to me all of my sermonette...my main points, the story, all of it. She needed help with the application but I couldn't believe it!

On the coattails of that she added the second one - the two weeks ago one - she did the same thing for that one! It was the story of the Potter and Clay with the illustration of Play-doh. She told me what I had said in her words about not being pink (us) or blue (God) but being purple. ...About being soft and not hard and what it takes to be mold-able. She remembers that we need to be so purple that we're inseparable and not having blobs of pink in us. It was great. I looked at Diane and said to her, "Our work here is done."

It was heartwarming and encouraging. ...Simply amazing that in the midst of all the chaos of her life...her court dates, foster homes, upheaval, and fighting for what's hers. In the midst of her POs, Caseworkers, Detention Staff, Counselors, and all that, she remembered what God said.

No comments: