Thursday, December 18, 2008

Moving On

I've been thinking long and hard about this blog because it is a difficult one to write. I do not have the energy to tell every one of you personally so I blog it here (impersonal I know).

For the last two and a half years I have loved what I do. The girls in the detention are not what people think they are, they're not what I thought they were when I first walked in. They are normal people and I see more of me in them than I saw in many of the people I knew when I was their age. They have legitimate and attainable goals and dreams. Their hearts are for each other. They often operate in survival mode and rarely even know how to do that. They shed light on the human condition not just of sin and all its evil but of every emotion that all of us feel.

I have wanted so desparately to help them and to become better for them. I am nearly finished with the book No Disrespect by Sister Souljah who reflects on her experience growing up an african-american female in the projects. I strongly disagree with her perspective at times but she sheds legitmate light on the problems we all face as a collective society. My desire to become a better equipt person for these girls, these young men and women in detention, has brought me to Grand Rapids Theological Seminary and their Masters in Counseling program. I have already completed one semester and beginning in January, I will be going to school full time. I am now done with the YFC chapter of my life and am moving on.

To all of my supporters, many of you who have followed me from YFC World Outreach/Fiji to YFC Grand Rapids, first and foremost I would like to say a huge THANK YOU. You have encouraged me when times were tough, prayed for me when things seemed impossible, and have given out of your generous hearts. I will forever remember your gifts of love because you followed God's call on your life and have given.

Secondly, I still well aware of the financial need at YFC, in all ministries and churches, I encourage you to continue to give. I remember the story of the talents in the Bible and those who doubled what they had and what the one who didn't. Remember to trust God and that when you give, he does know that you are choosing his work instead of your rent/mortage, bills, groceries, and other things. Don and I, despite the hard times, have never stopped giving. I want you to know that because we too, as the receivers of many gifts, remember the importance of giving. Our heart, in this area, is still in Fiji and that is where we give. YFC USA has encouraged us to give, both as an office and individuals to this ministry and our brothers and sisters in other areas that are affected in different ways thru the World Link program. This has been a blessing to us as a couple.

Third, please do remember the kids. Don and I are praying and considering volunteering our time and we still take Antwionette who is now an official member of our church and Don's mentee J* to church with us. Please pray for these two and others who they represent, who crave to help others and crave to know Jesus better.

Direct any questions to helms_y@yahoo.com. And for any other information on continuing your gift to JJM, email: marv@gryfc.org for the Juvenile Justice Ministry or Jim at jlarue@gryfc.org for YFC's general fund.

Thank you again! ...And so many times over!

No comments: