Monday, June 23, 2008

I Swear I Didn't Do It!

There is good news of great joy for us. I have told many stories of one girl in particular, most recently this is the 'Testimonial' girl. Well, last week Monday night she went before the Elders in our church and gave her testimonial for them and they accepted her as a member of the church. Last night, she followed up on that commitment to the Elders with a public profession of faith. What an exciting evening and what an exciting story.

After church, everyone congratulated her and the three others that stood up to profess their faith and some came up to me and said very kind words about my part in her life and to one lady I said, "I didn't do anything." Which is exactly how I felt...I didn't do anything...I never asked her if she wanted to become a member of the church (though the thought often flitted through my mind), I never even asked her if she wanted to go to church with me (my mom can atest to that one!), I didn't do anything. This lady replied with, "Well, you did something!"

I keep a prayer journal so I can see how God works right, so I as I prayed this morning, I very truthfully thanked the Lord for the work he had done in this young girl's life but also refused the fact that I did anything! It was God who moved in her heart and brought her to her knees one night. It was God who gave her the drive to continue to learn about him. It was God who gave her the desire to go to church. It was God that gave her the idea of becoming a member of the church. It wasn't me. The only thing I can come close to doing is meeting her (by chance) in Juvie, taking her to the coffee shop and getting her addicted to smoothies and coffee (we still have our weekly fix), and I pick her up to go to church, that's all I do. I didn't change this girl's heart, I didn't DO anything. It wasn't me...it was God...I just got a front row seat to it all!

No comments: